A training programme for Black, Asian, Minority Ethnic and Dual Heritage pupils in Secondary Schools.
The aims of the Youth Cultural Champions Programme are to work with young people from BAME and dual heritage backgrounds:
- To provide a safe space for them to explore their heritage and culture and to provide opportunities for them to explain these to their peers.
- To offer opportunities for them to share their experiences and feelings, especially about attitudes towards them in school and in the wider community, and their experiences of these.
- Through this work, to develop their self-confidence and self-esteem.
- To discuss their rights in school and school policies and procedures on unacceptable behaviour.
The training programme takes place over three or four full school days and is run by two adult Cultural Champions*. The days will be separated by at least one week, so that home preparation can be carried out by the young people.
* DDE’s Cultural Champions are Devon residents from another culture, faith or nationality, who has been through a training course with DDE and are equipped to work with pupils in classrooms. They all have advanced DBS.